Whatever set of problem one encounters, one will always look for ways to recover from these problems. What if you or someone close to you gets tangled in the problem of chemical dependency or in any kind of disorder? What will you do?
Nowadays, there are many treatment centers readily available to help anyone recover from different kinds of disorder. Usually, this management centers would need you to admit yourself in an institution where you can be observed by your attending physician. You accept no participation from the outside world, leaving your work or whatever it is that you do in idle.
Once a patient is released from being admitted to an institution, the problem of getting back to the normal routine comes in. This is where Intensive Outpatient Program comes in.
What is Intensive Outpatient Program or IOP? It is a program that is being used highly as a treatment service. People experiencing substance abuse problems who wants recovery are given this kind of treatment service. This kind of clinical service has been developed throughout the early 1900s as a way of response to the famously managed care institutions. In this kind of program, the patient is given a stronger level of treatment against to the level of treatment that was normally accessible for outpatients.
How does IOP works? Usually, there is one physician leading individuals being grouped together. Usually, the group meets with the physician 2 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time. In this kind of program, patients and the physician work hand in hand to attain successful treatment. The patient is being asked over on her goals and objectives which will be incorporated by the physician on the patient’s treatment plan. This working hand in hand produces feeling of control not just for the physician but also for the patient. The perception of being in control creates an optimistic outlook according to various studies. In most cases, positive outlook leads to positive results.
IOP carries many advantages. Aside from giving the patient treatment while not taking them away from their normall routine, it also boosts management of stress, compliance in treatment, achieving goals, and coping skills. Also, this program also looks into the link between the patient and the family. What’s more special about this program is its way of treatment. It looks into the unique need of the individual. One can always find an IOP program that is suitable for his or her special needs.
There are many features of an IOP program. However, familiar programs can always consist of the following:
• The Counseling of the Individual. For faster recovery, the patient will be assigned to a counselor that would cater his or her needs.
• The Counseling of the Family. One of the most affected in an individual’s disorder is its own family. In this type of IOP program, the family will be well-informed about the disorder being inflicted on their loved one. Thus in the process, creates a supportive relationship for the patient.
• Group Counseling. This type of program creates hope, consideration and the perceptive that they are not alone in this battle.
• Disorder Education. The patient and the family will be given diverse workshops and knowledge concerning whatever disorder they are facing and the how can they be able to recover.
• 12 Step Programs. This is the very famous program known for its use of the 12 steps.
Currently, there are quite a number of specialists who argue that IOP is more helpful than individual therapies especially in substance abuse or chemical dependency treatment. Although on an interesting note, IOP can also be used on another type of problems such as eating disorders and so on. However, the thing that really matters is that for the individual to recover. After all, in this kind of problem, you can never tell when you will be afflicted.
Intensive Outpatient Program is very helpful in treatment of borderline personality disorders, eating disorders, self-injury, chronic mental illness, as well as many others despite its popularity in addiction treatment.