Different Kinds of Depression Treatments

In our present society, one of the things that have a tremendous impact to us is the growing cases of depression. The United States of America has been shelling out $3-$6 billion dollars a year for the recovery of depression. Depression has been predicted to be one of the top five reasons of the world’s disability on the year 2020.

On the overall population of people with depression, about 60% of them seek treatment every year. What happens to the remaining 40%? They continue suffering from depression. These 40% will not care. As obvious, those individuals who doesn’t show any care by looking for depression treatments will be more significantly impaired compared to those who have been looking for depression treatments. It will only take some few years for people with depression to recover once they seek for help.

There are actually many treatments available for depression. For the greater part of people with depression, these depression treatments have been prove to work. Depression is identified to be such a disorder that impairs an individual but with the many depression treatments that can work for anyone, it can always be overcome. A form of control can always be given to depression. Controlling can be by means of treating it biologically or psychologically.

To people who are suffering from depression, they can use drugs in order to recover. This is the form given by biological treatment. There are several types of these drugs. Since 1960s, there are effective drug treatments that are already available to help people with depression. For the recent years, there have been a rising number of discovered drugs that can treat depression. There are three popular types of drugs that are known to treat depression. These drugs are called tricyclic antidepressants,monoamine oxidase inhibitors, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. However,there are still available drugs other than these three.

Tricyclic antidepressant drugs works to help people with depression by reducing its symptoms. In about 60% of depressed people, this drug is known to be effective in relieving acute symptoms of depression. There is just a downside to using these kinds of antidepressant drugs. It causes one’s mouth to dry, causes an individual to perspire severely, it causes one’s vision to get blurry, causes retention and sexual dysfunction.

On the other hand, monoamine oxidase inhibitors works the same as tricyclic antidepressant drugs. However,monoamine oxidase inhibitors gives off a more dangerous side effects. These effects are known to be deadly. It can cause damage to the liver and can take one’s blood pressure to a higher level.

Lastly, the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) is one of the newest classes of antidepressant to be discovered. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors works similarly as tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidase inhibitors. The only difference is that their effects are less damaging.

People who are diagnosed as depressive can be treated psychologically by means of overcoming the factors that causes the depression. Psychological treatments of depression have three factors: behavior therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and interpersonal therapy. Behavior therapy teaches the person skills in helping overcome new situations and engaging more in activities that gives pleasant emotions that helps people with depression to cheer up. The process of changing the wrong patterns of thinking of an individual that is able to cause the depression while teaching them new positive skills is what cognitive-behavioral therapy is all about. On the other hand, interpersonal therapy aids the individual in varying relationship patterns that creates dysfunction.

The negative effects of depression is a burden that should not be carried. There are a lot of depression treatments available for anyone who wants to recover from depression. You can always find it everywhere provided that you really are looking. To make a choice is the most important thing.

Depression treatments are very accessible to help you in your battle against depression.




We’re Here For You

Posted in National Detox  |  Leave a comment

Leave a reply